Why does your dishwasher smell bad?
Dishwashers are incredibly low maintenance appliances in your kitchen when it comes to cleaning. It’s the dishwasher responsible for a rotting smell coming from your kitchen. If you are looking for a way to clean your smelly dishwasher, you have come to the right place!
Bad odors are coming from your dishwasher, food particles are the answer. Over time, food particles can get stuck in different places, accumulating in the filter or the crevices of the machine.
Cleaning your dishwasher is not extremely complicated but we often forget about the dishwasher. There are easy steps to follow to get rid of the odor.
A well-functioning dishwasher will wash them all away and out through your home’s sewage line. Most dishwashers usually feature plastic innards that are porous; like your skin – they absorb dirt, mildew, and odors.
The situation gets even worse when the “hard” water and the calcium deposits clog the machine and it works hard to get the grease and grime off of your dishes.
How to clean a smelly dishwasher
With simple kitchen ingredients like vinegar and some baking soda, we can easily fix our problem. The most common place to check is the screen or filter at the bottom of your dishwasher’s tub.
All you have to do is wash the filter with warm water. For your dishwasher to work properly, it washes the dirty water out through a drain hose and the air gap ensures that it can’t wash back in.
If the filters seem clean, there may be food stuck in the holes in the sprayer arm. Pour out one cup of white vinegar in the empty’s bottom dishwasher, vinegar will break up the build-up and deodorize the dishwasher.
To speed up that process, sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher but don’t add the baking soda until you’ve run the dishwasher once with the vinegar.
- Repair any damage to your drain hose immediately for the safety of you and your family.
- Rest make sure to open your dishwasher door regularly, run at least a cycle a week, and don’t let dirty dishes hang out in there for too long.
How to prevent the smell from reoccurring
There are various steps you can take to get rid of the reoccurring smell of your dishwasher. Here are the few:
- Clean the filter and the inside of the machine to prevent your dishwasher from draining completely. Thus, by keeping your dishwasher running smoothly and smelling good.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in your dishwasher, scrape off large pieces of food, and rinse-and-hold cycle to keep things clear.
- Avoid using the kitchen faucet while the dishwasher is filling with water.
- Protect your dishwasher from calcium deposits by using a water softener that will not let your machine clog
- Regular deep cleaning will result in banishing the bad odors.